No matter who you are, having a primary care provider is an essential part of staying on top of your physical and mental health. But the search for a reliable doctor can be tough. Luckily, is here to serve patients throughout the Pittsburgh, PA area. Our local team of primary care providers gives patients access to quality, long term medical services for the whole family at a variety of locations.
Primary Care at Genesis Medical Associates
Genesis Medical Associates is equipped to care for your total well-being. The members of our team pride themselves on providing patient-centered care. Our practitioners take the time to develop a relationship with their patients to ensure that they are tailoring their approach to each individual's needs. Genesis Medical provides comprehensive care in the form of preventive medicine and treatment, with services including, but not limited to, the following:
- Flu care
- Congestive heart failure (CHF) prevention and treatment
- Diabetes prevention, monitoring, lifestyle recommendations, and more
- High blood pressure prevention and treatment
In addition to the primary care services at Genesis Medical Associates, you can access mental health services at Heyl Family Practice in McCandless. Brad and Emily Heyl are resident counselors who work with the physicians and nurse practitioners at to provide comprehensive mental health care for patients. Some of their specialties include depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorders, grief, life transitions, and trauma.
Heyl Family Practice in McCandless
Whether you have a specific health concern or are simply looking to take charge of your health with regular well visits, the has you covered. Here is a little bit of information about our practitioners at the McCandless office.
- Dr. Louis Heyl, MD initially joined his father, Dr. Frank Heyl, in practicing family medicine and has been dedicated to providing the best quality care to his patients ever since. He received his Doctorate of Medicine in Family Medicine from Hahnemann Medical University, and he even earned a certificate in plant based nutrition from Cornell University. He currently serves as the president of Genesis Medical Associates and is Chairman of Family Medicine at UPMC Passavant.
- Dr. Scott Heyl, MD is a board-certified family physician who earned his Doctorate of Medicine from the American University of the Caribbean. In 2020, he received the Best of the Best award by Trib Live's Official Community Choice Awards. He loves developing close relationships with his patients and believes in treating them like family. He is especially attuned to the needs of patients who are struggling with their mental health. When he is not seeing patients at Heyl Family Practice or Passavant Hospital - McCandless, he can be found spending time with his family or playing golf.
- Dr. Matthew Macken, MD is board-certified in Family Medicine and strives to build strong, lasting relationships with his patients. He is especially interested in sports medicine, geriatrics, and adult internal medicine. He received his Doctorate of Medicine from Ross University School of Medicine and is currently a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians, Allegheny County Medical Society, and Western Pennsylvania Geriatrics Society.
- Dr. Donald Shoenthal, MD is a lively presence at Heyl Family Practice. He earned his Bachelor of Science from the University of Pittsburgh and attended medical school at West Virginia University. His passion lies in caring for the elderly; in addition to his work at Genesis Medical Associates, he serves as the medical director of Sherwood Oaks, Grace Manor, and Celtic Home Health. Outside of work, he is dedicated to his roles as a father, husband, and church member.
- Mary Katherine Wray, PA-C is a physician assistant at Heyl Family Practice. She earned her bachelor's degree from Elon University and her Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies from Seton Hill University. She is a member of the American Academy of Physician Assistants and the Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants. Prior to joining the team at Genesis Medical, she worked at MedExpress Urgent Care.
- Emily Heyl, LPC has worked as a counselor at Heyl Family Practice since 2016. She earned her Master of Science in Counseling from Duquesne University, and her graduate and undergraduate training included extensive work with children and adolescents. Before joining the team at Heyl Family Practice, she served in various roles at Wesley Spectrum Services.
If you can't make it to McCandless, don't worry -- you can still see a Heyl Family practitioner. You can schedule an appointment to meet with someone via telehealth or tele-mental health services. Additionally, Heyl Family Practice has an office in West View, where many of the McCandless staff also see patients alongside some West View exclusive practitioners.
Genesis Medical Associates is committed to providing comprehensive, personalized care to residents all around the Pittsburgh, PA area. With the dedicated and experienced team of physicians, nurse practitioners, and counselors at Heyl Family Practice, all of your health needs can be cared for under one roof. If a patient-centered approach to primary care sounds beneficial to you, at Heyl Family Practice today.
Genesis Medical Associates is dedicated to providing families with access to primary care and improving the overall health and wellness of our patients. We offer a variety of services including , , , , and more. Visit one of our many Pittsburgh, PA locations or online today.